In every Individual, there is a force more powerful, more mysterious than the inner workings of the Universe. Shaped by thought, fuelled by emotions, forged by life, touched by spirit and loved by love itself, it is the everlasting gift called Imagination...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Suvon is the name of a World that I am currently working on in hopes of sharing with other fiction writers. It's a project that has taken me quite a while. Right now, I am on a slow process at the first book, a King's Heir.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

5-Minutes Panic

Location: At school, somewhere without soap, laundry or spin-cycles.
Mood-of-the-day: Madness Quickie

I’ll start my journal entry with a worthy tale to tell. Well, actually, it isn’t too worthy but for the first 5 minutes after I woke up, I thought my world was crashing down but hell, I’m a drama queen to the extreme. Well, enough hints :P. Yesterday night I collected laundry so that I’ll just hang them dry instead of leaving for school at 8.15am. Aaah, life without mom. I scooped up every available clothes on the floor and dumped them into the washing machine.

This morning, I woke up before my phone alarm went off. Man, I’m getting too used to waking early (I’m hardly a morning person). First order of business was the laundry, which should have cleaned overnight. Well, I didn’t have to wait for the ‘ding’ to tell the clothes were done. But as I rummaged through the stuff, a lil’ blue plastic fell out. It was my thumb drive. The KingMax 256MB had just popped out from the washing machine, half-dry and speckled paint.

And I thought the horror was enough when my old Proton died last Friday. I had accidentally dropped in one of my most needed items into a combination of two spin cycles and Tesco detergent worth of overflows and left it there to sink overnight. Eeeeekkk!! No panic, no panic. There’s only my blog entries, a Laxius program I hadn’t installed and um, er, two Telecomunications chapters and a B. Ethics mid-term sample, the new CC entry. If anybody even mentions ‘all eggs in one basket’ I’m gonna scream.

I plugged it into my PC as I was trying to remember where I placed the receipt and how I was going to claim the warranty from the Low Yat Plaza guys without sounding too stupid. ‘That’s right. Your thumb drive wasn’t water-proof and it had stated any condition other than UV-light.’ ‘I have the warranty right here, less than a month ago I’ve brought it from you.’ ‘Look, here’s the warranty and I want this replaced, no questions. Got it?’

And oh joy, the tiny red light signalled life! My Windows 2000 confirmed that KingMax was detected and can be accessed. I checked each of my files (even WinZipped ones) and found that miracles do happened. For some strange reason I’ve expected my Texts and Jpegs to be wet and speckled pixels. ‘Mabuk pagi’ must still be in me (it’s a digital for goodness’ sake!). The fact still is that my documents are still accessible.

I’m not paid to advertise KingMax thumb drives but if they do need a real-life product quality tester, I might just apply. But I’ll always keep mine in check since a good lot of my favourites are in it (Haven’t printed and framed my Jpegs Scenes yet!). And if I ever needed a good warning or an old reminder, I can just smell the nice, fresh laundry soap smell every time I wear the rope string around my neck.

Signed: *Ophie, a Near-Madness Experience early in the morning. Works better than Nescafe.