In every Individual, there is a force more powerful, more mysterious than the inner workings of the Universe. Shaped by thought, fuelled by emotions, forged by life, touched by spirit and loved by love itself, it is the everlasting gift called Imagination...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Suvon is the name of a World that I am currently working on in hopes of sharing with other fiction writers. It's a project that has taken me quite a while. Right now, I am on a slow process at the first book, a King's Heir.

Monday, October 11, 2004

I'll Pray Mine with Extra Cheese...

Location: Oh I dunno really. The sights, the sounds, the smells... the smells...
Mood-of-the-day: Aromatherapy

Today is the first day of October’s second week and it’s time to go on a family gathering! My aunt, Cik Siti, is hosting a doa selamat in her house, about a bike ride away from ours. I won’t amuse you guys with pictures because the extended family have these types of get-together so often that it never felt as if they’ve ever left. Ooo, what a scary thought. My parents had cautioned me about it and must help my aunt in anyway possible just before themselves left for a Turkish Delightment.

Today’s also the day that the old Proton gets a jumpstart. Last Friday I was supposed to get my lil’ bro to his tuition class (and was running late) when I turned on the ignition only to be greeted with a dead click-click instead of the usual vrom-vroom to life. Dead silence on a car is enough to make any driver scream. Before I could do such a useless thing to fruitlessly ease my woe, bro and sis pitched in with a pair of cables and gave it a battery-to-battery resuscitation with the MBenz.

The trick worked and cause of effect found. It turned out that the alarm lights had been blinking the electricity away. Nobody realized it because my mom de-alarmed the old Proton’s voice box years ago, when it got to old to be worth stealing by any crook. But the important part was that the trick worked (thought I had thought of driving the Kenari proudly around the school compound). But just to be sure, sis allowed me to use her Wira to send the carpets to my aunt.

Cik Siti called some time in the morning for a favour to ask. She had hoped that I fetch some pizzas from Atria’s Dominoes. I was a bit blur, because this was a kenduri doa selamat in a Big, Fat, Malay Family. Still, maybe Cik Siti didn’t had enough time to cook extra and so I thought what’s a couple of pizzas? Gives me more reason not to spend time greeting guests. So decked in full blue kebaya, I realized that I was picking up eight pizzas!

She passed me the money and the Dominoes Gold Card (regular customer apparently) and wished me quick delivery. I supposed I can’t keep the change if I arrived longer than 30 minutes. There were a handful of guys (only guys) in red-white-blue uniform at Dominoes DJ and they had expected somebody in for a party. Me in kebaya, I told them they’ll be doa selamat and guests over 40 years of age. I think they’re still laughing after they placed the pizzas in the Wira’s back seat.

It was great seeing cousins again. Shaza’s baby (my second nephew) is a walking dude in khakis and was doing so back and forth between his parents in the middle of the prayers. Most of the little kids are on the second floor watching movies on HBO or pirated VCDs. Shaza’s sister came with a bandage. She was helping another sis to cut something at 2am when she misfired and attacked her own finger. And the doctor was suggesting plastic surgery (for a finger? Puh-lease!).

In between orders of Aidilfitri cookies and munchies, the pizzas were a hit, all commentin how ‘mordern’ my aunt was (Much of the Laksa Johor was hardly touched). And on a side note, my sis’s Wira had smelled like saltwater fish, tandoori chicken, jogging shoes and now Dominoes pizzas in just one week. She aught to park at a circus and charge admission; Aromatherapy of the City. Heck, it might even be a hit :P.

Signed: *Ophie, packed home 3 slices for bro ;)