In every Individual, there is a force more powerful, more mysterious than the inner workings of the Universe. Shaped by thought, fuelled by emotions, forged by life, touched by spirit and loved by love itself, it is the everlasting gift called Imagination...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Suvon is the name of a World that I am currently working on in hopes of sharing with other fiction writers. It's a project that has taken me quite a while. Right now, I am on a slow process at the first book, a King's Heir.

Monday, September 13, 2004

A letter from 12-yesr-old Ophie...

Location: In the Globe Goggling Cobwebs
Mood-of-the-day: Nostalgic, very nostalgic

I was rummaging through some of my old stuff as part of the Sunday’s Cleaning Day and you know what I’ve found? Tucked in between the pages of a business management book thick enough to kill somebody was an envelope full of nostalgia. I had almost forgotten that I’ve even had it. A letter to myself. Yeah, I know some of you would think it’s weird. But it’s like a diary actually.

Hence, at age 11, I was only beginning to like to write but I hated long essays. I got the idea from a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip and thus I wrote something to my 20-year-old self. It’s not a coincidence actually, to find this lost piece of childish POV just 6 days before my big 2-0. There’s always been something about that thick book that bothers me (and I’m not even taking business management).

------------------------


Dear Liza 20 years old,

Hey how are ya? This is yourself at Standard 6. I’m feeling great because my holidays are here. Have you got a boyfriend yet? Is he cute? How did you meet him? Well, I don’t suppose you can tell me since you’re in the future and all (just like Back to the Future) but I suppose I can tell you what I’ve been.

Wamad is being bratty again. He just wants to gaduh. I know I’m very bossy with my little brother and it’s more fun when you know you’re being bossy. I fight with him at mak and ayah’s room and now I forgot what we’re fighting about. Pencil colour maybe, but we fight all the way down the stairs and he bit my hand and now I think I have a scar. Do you have a scar? I hope not. I hate scars.

Didja get to sing at Asia Bagus yet? Was is good? Did you win? I’m still practising my singing. I like the song from Pocahontas, you remember? ‘Colours of the Wind’ I like that song and I know I can sing better. It must be great to be a singer and I hope you’re got to be one. Emma had already got to go to Asia Bagus with her group but I want to win.

Is Tun and Isaida still with you? Do you still have their number? Everyone says that Isaida and I look alike but I don’t think so. Maybe it’s because our second name Aini and Ain is alike. Tun is my best friend since kindergarten. Also Zurina’s dad got something weird in her house. There’s this huge antenna in her house. Mak says it’ll rosak other houses tv signal but I didn’t see any change.

I will take my UPSR soon. I also want to past my Teakwondo blue test soon and so I won’t have to be bullied by Suratkhabar. Is he still around? I hate him, he liked to bully me and so I want to hit him back. My dad says I should always run away but I don’t like to run. I want to fight. Did you managed to kick him? I hope he doesn’t bully you anymore. The other day he wanted 40 cents from me and so I gave him. But he hasn’t paid me back.

----------------------


There’s a lot more but I’ve summarised it. About 2 papers full. It’s amazing how a 2B pencil can last. If I can only answer that dreamy lil’ girl 8 years ago, I’ll say that I do still have that scar, Asia Bagus phenomena had been replaced by the Akedemi Fantasia and Malaysian Idols, I’ve lost contact with Tun and Isaida and had stopped Teakwono a long time ago.

Signed: *Ophie, the ‘Suratkhabar’ still owes her 40 cents from that BP encounter.