In every Individual, there is a force more powerful, more mysterious than the inner workings of the Universe. Shaped by thought, fuelled by emotions, forged by life, touched by spirit and loved by love itself, it is the everlasting gift called Imagination...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Suvon is the name of a World that I am currently working on in hopes of sharing with other fiction writers. It's a project that has taken me quite a while. Right now, I am on a slow process at the first book, a King's Heir.

Friday, September 10, 2004

Who jinxed me?

Location: Somewhere that doesn't spout steam or smoke or stink
Mood-of-the-day: Fear Experience

Wednesday started off badly enough. I went to school with insomnia in my eyes and maybe even cat-stuff still in between my toes (despite rigorous washing) only to find that my ridiculously early class been cancelled because the premature PhD lecturer decided to sleep in. But was just the beginning.

I posted my entries in Xfresh blog easy enough, but the ones on Blogspot can't be published because the connection kept timed out. I can't even edit the template. Busy line or firewall? Either way, if the irritation's intention was to make me shake the monitor really badly, it almost succeeded. What stopped me were the 200+ potential witnesses if my school were to charge me of damaging private property.

The last straw was when a group of noisy guys with no shame of flatulence or excessive body odour (they stinks, they really, REALLY stinks!) took over the left side of the workstation, and me in the middle of it. Since the IE browser in my pc had suddenly turned useless by hiding the address bar, I thought of a good trip to a place only few second-years ever thought about, the school's library. Bad mistake.

There's only 5 pcs in the tiny lab. The peace and quiet was too good. It was late afternoon and I had sought refuge about an hour before closing time. The Kakak didn't even check to see if the lab had people or person (me!). Just turned off the main ceiling lights and I was engulfed in darkness. When I got to the glass double doors, it was L-O-C-K-E-D. Luckily, her hearing was better than her eyesight, but I think she opened the doors because she thought I might knock the doors down (alone in the dark, I was dead scared).

I was sooo glad that there wasn't any school for the next day (felt like I could sleep till Doomsday). I was eager to get home and watch Fairy Godparents (for obvious reasons). But the jinx wouldn't leave me just yet. At this traffic lights section between Tropicana and Kt. D'sara PLUS toll, something blew out. It sounded like when you blow up a balloon and let it go to fly aimlessly, a hissing noise. There was steam or white smoke or whatever you call it coming out from under the Proton's hood, like a trapped cloud.

The car didn't die immediately (thank goodness!) so I managed to park right on the side of the road. Then a nice old couple in a Benz came to for assistance. The Pakcik opened the hood and thought that an oil line might have overheated and burst. There was definitely oil. I could have caught on fire. The couple, which stayed just close to my habitat area, stayed with me as I waited for my dad to arrive in his Benz.

I was thinking that if this was such a bad day, it seemed to be wearing off. I don't believe in jinx really, just collateral damage. But then across the street from where I was sitting on dry turf, a trio of uniformed policemen were hauling up a cool-looking motorbike in a police van as a young lad in T-shirt stared in disbelief nearby. If there really was such thing as a jinxed day, looks like his night was just starting.

Signed: *Ophie, who missed the day's Fairy Godparents show