In every Individual, there is a force more powerful, more mysterious than the inner workings of the Universe. Shaped by thought, fuelled by emotions, forged by life, touched by spirit and loved by love itself, it is the everlasting gift called Imagination...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Suvon is the name of a World that I am currently working on in hopes of sharing with other fiction writers. It's a project that has taken me quite a while. Right now, I am on a slow process at the first book, a King's Heir.

Friday, September 03, 2004

Xfresh Archive: The Friend you don't want to Hang Around with

Location: Executive Suite with glass ceiling skylight and indoor Jacuzzi
Mood-of-the-day: I becoming deaf in one ear but that's not such a bad idea

I'm sure I'm not the inkblot on a white paper when it comes to suddenly coming face to face with the one guy/gal you've abandoned or pretended to have never met or try to hide from. The person whose favorite habit is the one thing that makes them the least desirable person to be around your 5 feet to 5 kilometers of personal space.

It's okay for me to write it here cos the person in particular doesn't know about my blog. Heck, I was careful not to mention it around her. This girl is the Janice reject from the Friend series because the producers can stand her either. I've been avoiding her as much as I can but she doesn't seem to take a hint.

She a dark malay with a beret (hey it rhymes!) and I've hardly see her wearing anything else on her head (I hardly see her at all, thank goodness!). She has a deep voice for a gal and could never seem to control her volume. Example: She once talked about how's her menstrual cycle and asking all about mine in the middle of the crowded workstation during peak lunch hour, LONG and LOUDLY. I wanted so very much to die on the spot at that moment.

That's the thing; the subjects she always talks about seem only to make more sense to her while I try to crank my head or least pretend I understand something. She talks about the organizational infrastructure of the Education Ministry and who's commanding over whom and how she knows them personally. She talks about some hidden conspiracy about the Pengajian Malaysia lecturer over a final exam some 2 years back.

She talks about all these deep, serious discussion that would make any nation-wide debate judges proud to sponsor her to go international (I'll sponsor her too, and double so she stays there!). She doesn't want to talk about anything light-hearted, not books, not clothes (I know where to get her a better beret), not movies *sigh*. Most recently was yesterday, about how she's been trying to graduate quickly and most efficiently.

Why didn't I just tell her I want out? Well, it's because what she is! She's so deep and thoughtful that, if she had expressed it rightly, would have been a great at something among people her genre, like a debating team or school politics, but she isn't interested (I know, I tried to get her attention elsewhere). And she's smart. She helped me get through some of the projects through my foundation days and still do.

So what do you do with a girl like her? Do you put your foot down and tell her that's she's okay but we're not sharing much in common? Do you just let her be and might as well enjoy her company to fake it, fake it until you really do feel it? Or do you just try to ignore her as much as possible, like if she's walking to you but haven't seen you yet, turn around and duck into a bathroom? I don't see her often so I've been using the 'ignore' tactic.

Signed: *Ophie, not desperate, just needed a fly swatter that doesn't kill anybody