In every Individual, there is a force more powerful, more mysterious than the inner workings of the Universe. Shaped by thought, fuelled by emotions, forged by life, touched by spirit and loved by love itself, it is the everlasting gift called Imagination...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Suvon is the name of a World that I am currently working on in hopes of sharing with other fiction writers. It's a project that has taken me quite a while. Right now, I am on a slow process at the first book, a King's Heir.

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Barbeque Weekend

Location: Being at school just because she had to since extra classes were being made.
Mood-of-the-day: Damn lecturers!

A few days after Hari Raya, parents organized a big barbeque party for the neighbours. Dad’s got the best barbeque machine around and we use it at least once every 3 months. I supposed I should have taken some pictures but really, I had no patience for being the paparazzi in my own house. Besides, most of the people that turned up were old farts anyway (hehehe!).

That’s right. Semi-D people in my area are mostly couples with grown kids, manicured gardens and a spare tyre around their waist (and this wasn’t just my family I’m talking). They come in all shapes, sizes and colours. Personally, I think my dad pulled this off just to show off the new and completed koi n’ guppy pond. I know for a fact that he didn’t feed them lunch so that neighbours can watch them jump savagely later that night. More story on that later.

Mom cooked up a feast all right. She skinned some quarter chickens and marinated them for a few hours in her soy sauce recipe. She got me working on the coleslaw and potato salad. We had planned to invite a relative who lived nearby but the family had other plans. Dang, we made extra coleslaw just for that lil’ cousin (she likes to hoard her veggies. I still say it’s weird for a toddler).

Back to the kitchen, mom also made some Laksa Johor, tribute to her upbringing (and for east-type hungry people). I remember homemade fish stock, fish paste, shrimp paste, coconut milk, ‘cili boh’, usual garlic, salt and pepper, etc, etc... Well, I’ve never quite acquired a taste for any laksa but it’s a family recipe after all (as an apt-observant neighbour pointed that out). Any way, all served with spaghetti.

My bros (all 3 of them) minded the barbeque. They’re men after all. Make fire. Cook meat. Okay that joke is old. Which also explains why some of the chickens had pretty dark features. The keyword here is pretty, not dark. Overcooked food is too often a specialty of big Bro (you should have seen his fried nuggets!). But nobody noticed because they were fascinated with mom’s secret gravy recipe.

Sis’s excuse for not being around to help out is the spending time she had with her other family. And everybody thought that she was only going for a medical check-up. So she took upon the task of washing up a few dishes. Anyway, any sour face (including mine) were quickly sweetened as she presented with a lil’ CD from her check-up. Here’s a screenshot and I urge you to knock yourself out in guessing.

The keyword here was ‘medical’ checkup :P
It’s gonna take some time to grow though...


Signed: *Ophie, more stories on this, that and many other of those later. Soon, I promise ;)