In every Individual, there is a force more powerful, more mysterious than the inner workings of the Universe. Shaped by thought, fuelled by emotions, forged by life, touched by spirit and loved by love itself, it is the everlasting gift called Imagination...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Suvon is the name of a World that I am currently working on in hopes of sharing with other fiction writers. It's a project that has taken me quite a while. Right now, I am on a slow process at the first book, a King's Heir.

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

My First Crush

Location: Gone fishing for love
Mood-of-the-day: Fish ain’t biting because I forgot the bait

I was surfing through various blogs that I like to visit (you know who you are *snigger*) and not a few mentioned openly about their love life. There was one whose taking a long trip overseas and how her boyfriend had been so very nice to her on their last day. And a trip to Xfresh articles caught my attention about this one. Shoot, Where did that Prince Charming go?

Until my age had reached the double digit, boys were the other half of human species that you fight a good fight with (even those that weren’t related). But after a holiday trip to Johor, instincts started to get weird (thought it might have been the country side effect). I brought myself a green school bag that I was so sure nobody else at primary school had it. Oh the green-eyed jealousy!

That’s when I saw my first crush. Didja ever think about the first time you looked at a guy differently? I did and it was my new green bag that led me to him. I was an obscure gal who hung around the rough and tumble folks and already a stubbornness to match any teenager twice my 10 years. And he was a good boy, clean record, and potential head prefect with lots of straight-As friends. And he had my green bag.

It was an afternoon session class and kids back then dropped off their heavy book luggage just outside the school hall. When the bell rang, everybody scramble into a riot, as if lives were depended on the race to get in line. When the smoke and brats had cleared, I realized that my bag was dead missing. You know at that age, when you’re afraid and running behind on the race, you feel like crying. Childish yes, but I was a child.

That’s when he came. His name was Harith, as written on his nametag. Being a prefect, he was doing the rounds of clearing the hall’s corridor and to catch any stray student. I thought he was going to report me (I was ready to bludgeon him if he dared). But then I noticed he was carrying two bags, one on each shoulder. Both bags were completely identical, except for the red-blue ribbon weave on one.

He handed my bag without even asking if it was mine. I was surprised because I had for sure there not been any other kid with a bag like mine. Apparently he thought the same thing too and he apologized for taking mine. It was an odd feeling, having a guy who apologized to me for something he did. The boys I was used to would boast how they drop a dead rat into the girls’ bathroom.

Remember, I was 10 and girls can either hang on to their mommies’ apron or break stereotyping. And his curly-haired boy (he was the same age as mine) was breaking my perception of the opposite sex. We parted ways after that encounter, but I always see him as he grows up the popularity. Never talked to him again since we’re both so different. Maybe I was started to get shy. It was long after I last saw him at a goodbye primary school party that I realized that I had my very first crush.

Signed: *Ophie, too bad that she had let that fish get away...